Friday, May 28, 2010

Benefit for Punk Rod Todd Karnahan

If you want to help donate to Punk Rod Todd and his medical expenses you can send a check to:

Todd Karnahan
c/o Los Punk Rods
P.O. Box 2614
Shawnee Mission, KS 66201

I have been doing the car shows since I was an infant. We went every weekend to some sort of event all through my childhood and well into my high school years. At the point of my early 20's I got burned out and decided to call it quits. I put my car in storage and got into the motorcycle scene quite heavily.

I had considered selling my car, but I have had it since I was 15 years old and had a soft spot for the old girl. She and I have been through a lot of good and bad times together. I drove her to William Chrisman High School on May 14, 1987 (one of the greatest days of my life) and on my wedding day August 6, 2000 (another great day). She is like the red violin for my life.

The Greaserama car show started in 2001. My dad went and told me about it. I went in 2002 and have been going ever since. It was a great show where anything went. No more old guys with high dollar cars looking down on my budget built ride. Plus there was plenty of beer and fun for everyone.

This whole thing was the brianchild of Todd Karnahan with the Punk Rods Car Club. I dare say this man single-handedly renewed my interest in the car scene. Now I take my son to this event and it has been less of a beerfest and more of a family event for me. Times change, but the good times are still there.

Anyway Todd has cancer. He is going to deal with it his own way. I can't blame him on that. We have all seen people who are diagnosed and go through years of chemo and feel like shit then die anyway. They could have possibly spent the last two years of their life spending time with friends and family.

There is a benefit car/bike show for Todd at the Record bar on June 12, 2010. He is a house painter who doesn't have insurance. Come out and support this effort if you can. He has brought a lot of fun to many people's lives.